DDF opens new Arrivals Shop at Dubai International Airport
As part of its ongoing development of its retail offer, Dubai Duty Free (DDF) has opened a new Arrivals Shop in Terminal 3 at Dubai International Airport.
Featuring a total retail space of 1,100 square meter, the new shop is significantly larger than its previous retail area. The additional area is mainly in front of the demise line of the old shop and the space has been designed to improve the visibility of the new shop to arriving passengers within the baggage hall and focus on product presentation and visual merchandising.
Colm McLoughlin, Executive Vice Chairman & CEO, Dubai Duty Free, comments: “We are very pleased with the outcome of the new Arrivals Shop and think that our customers are going to love it. Arrivals sales account for 9% of our business and it is a sector that we want to grow. A high percentage of our Arrivals customers are UAE residents who travel several times a year and they are going to appreciate the new shop for its ease of access, high-end design and the extensive products on offers, including travel retail exclusives. We are very excited about this new opening.”
For the first time, the new Arrivals Shop offers arriving passengers the opportunity to purchase from the entire liquor range of Dubai Duty Free, which features over 2500 products including 121 travel retail exclusives and 41 products that are exclusive to the company.
Ramesh Cidambi, Chief Operating Officer, Dubai Duty Free, remarks: “The new shop is much more visible and passengers will start to shop earlier as they come down the moving walk-ways in the middle of the hall. The combination of strong signage and use of digital screens makes the shop front very attractive. A customer entering the shop will find a great retail offer in the Wines & Spirits category – and growing this category is important due to the taxation issues around Tobacco in Arrivals.
There are many new retail elements here introduced for the first time including a salon area for customers buying premium wines and spirits. These new elements results in a much better retail experience for our customers.”
To add to the enjoyment of the shopping experience each category has been given a distinct personality, with its own palette of materials and customized designs. The following is an outline of the Wine & Spirits category (via type of liquor):
- Designed by Moet – Hennessey for its in-house brands, a striking champagne wall and prominent digital screen are located at the entrance
- This segment of the category also has a front of house feature that allows shoppers to experience a personal service in order to make more informed purchases
- Due to the popularity of this segment, the dedicated area: “Keep Your Gin Up” is on-site, the area will eventually present over 50 gins (15 of which will be exclusive to this new Arrivals Shop)
“Here for the Beer”
- As a response to the growing demand from discerning customers for light and craft beers, this brand personalized area offers additional space
- This multi-purpose circular unit is available for promotions, particularly those that engage with and educate customers in a fun way
“Happy Landing Bar”
- An attractive feature in the center of the shop that takes advantage of a large pillar and has been designed to house a concept for white spirits (with a concentration on vodka)
“On the Rocks”
- A feature of the whisky segment of the category, which houses all of the remaining products outside of the malts that are at the front of the shop
- More fun is presented with this vehicle, which has been given a quirky design and converted into a mobile chiller
The elegant Salon Prive offers a personalized service for customers buying premium wines and spirits. The glass-walled lounge is temperature-controlled with a seating area where customers can meet with specially trained advisors with a wealth of product knowledge.
Plus, a dedicated area for tobacco is included in the new shop, showcasing a built-in humidor. While a representation of other categories, such as Perfumes & Cosmetics, Electronics, Confectionary and Toys are located at the newly designed check out system, ideal for impulse purchases.
The Click and Collect service, which allows customers to collect items purchased online or in Departures, is adjacent to the upgraded Millennium Millionaire and Finest Surprise counter featuring a luxury car display.
This opening marks the next stage of DDF’s expansion plan at Dubai International Airport, which includes the second phase refurbishment of the two FoodPlus shops in Concourse B and the continued enhancement of its retail offer within the Fashion category, which will continue in the second half of the year.