SSP America opens several restaurants and bars at Midway International Airport
SSP America, a division of SSP Group, a leading operator of food and beverage brands in travel locations worldwide, has opened a collection of restaurants and bars at Midway International Airport (MDW).
With the majority located in the Central Market food court area, the collection is comprised primarily of local brands consistent with SSP America’s focus on bringing a ‘taste of place’ to the airports its serves.
According to SSP America, which has operated at MDW since 2017, the new openings represent the latest development in SSP America’s efforts to elevate the culinary experience for MDW travelers. In total SSP America’s joint venture partners, subtenants and hundreds of team members now operate more than 30 restaurants. The percentage of Airport Concessions Disadvantaged Business Enterprises (ACDBE) involved with the project makes the operation an industry leading program with total percentage of ACDBE participation at almost 60%.
SSP America is a member of Midway Partnership, a joint venture that also includes Vantage Airport Group and Hudson, which was selected by the Chicago Department of Aviation (CDA) to lead a US$75 million transformation of Midway’s concession program.
Sammy Patel, CEO, Midway Partnership said, “SSP America and its local, minority partners have been true partners in delivering our ambitious vision to transform the traveler experience at Chicago Midway. The Central Market is at the heart of Midway Partnership’s $75 million transformation of the airport’s eating and shopping experience.
“Our successful collaboration with SSP is built around ensuring community benefit, showcasing Chicago, and doing our utmost to collaborate with and support people and local businesses in the community.”
Senior Vice President of Business Development Bob Stanton commented, “The transformation of MDW led by CDA and Midway Partnership is truly remarkable. From the improved infrastructure around the airport, TSA facilities, and the redevelopment of the concessions program, MDW is now a world-class airport which offers a tremendous experience for travelers.
“These openings represent the final phase of our development efforts. It’s truly a unique effort given the extraordinary level of ACDBE participation and representation from the local restaurant community. This collection of brands rounds out our MDW portfolio of restaurants, and we’re grateful for the participation of all our restaurant partners including those we’ve been operating with for a number of years.”
The newly opened restaurants include:
- White Sox Bar & Grill: Brings the hometown Sox experience to Midway travelers with a unique ballpark-inspired menu and dining experience. The restaurant features an abundance of memorabilia, décor and unique design elements, all paying homage to Chicago’s beloved World Series winning baseball team the White Sox.
- Reilly’s Daughter: Reilly’s Daughter is a familiar name to locals and now has two spots at MDW. Travelers will enjoy friendly neighborhood fare throughout the day.
- America’s Dog & Burger: With a menu based on a cross-country road trip, the menu features hot dogs from across the U.S. and is considered an iconic Chicago food gem.
- Connie’s Pizza: A Chicago favorite since 1963 and pizza pioneer, Connie’s Pizza is a go-to restaurant for those who crave the city’s classic deep-dish pizza.
- Big Bowl: Offers authentic, wok-tossed Chinese bowls using the highest quality ingredients with options including Orange Chicken, Beef & Broccoli and additions such as potstickers or egg rolls.
- M Burger:A local Chicago handmade burger joint sure to satisfy passenger cravings and serving up burgers made with freshly ground, all-natural midwestern Black Angus beef, Kennebec fries, Martin’s Potato Buns and house-made sauces.
- Tall Boy Taco’s: From Chicago’s Streeterville neighborhood comes locally made tortillas in a quick, casual, and funky environment. The menu includes fan-favorite tacos, quesadillas and salads along with refreshing agua fresca.
- Beechers Handmade Cheese: Offers travelers a menu rich with critically acclaimed specialty cheeses including made-to-order grilled sandwiches, hot soups such as the Tomato Flagship, and of course, the Oprah-endorsed "World's Best" Mac & Cheese.
- Dunkin: Midway runs on Dunkin’ throughout the day with its famous coffee, donuts, pastries, sandwiches and more.