Beam Suntory releases 2022 Sustainability Report
Spirits company Beam Suntory has announced the release of its 2022 Sustainability Report, highlighting progress against the company’s long-term Proof Positive sustainability strategy and targets. The report details the company’s impact across three pillars: Nature Positive, Consumer Positive and Community Positive, and highlights key milestones, including a 10% reduction in water usage rate across the company’s operations, an increase in shipped volume including on-pack nutritional data, and advancements in Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI).
“At Beam Suntory, we have an ambition to become the World’s Most Admired Premium Spirits Company, which includes being a global leader in sustainability and responsibility,” said Albert Baladi, President and Chief Executive Officer at Beam Suntory. “Making a positive impact through our business and our brands is core to who we are, and in 2022, we continued to invest across our focus areas, making industry-leading strides in water conservation, regenerative agriculture and forestry, and confirming us an Equal Pay Employer from our second voluntary pay equity study.
“Our employees embody our purpose, which is to Inspire the Brilliance of Life. We came together stronger than ever last year – from the more than 12,000 hours we dedicated to worldwide volunteering efforts, to ensuring we’re building a culture of inclusion.”
Beam Suntory is committed to operating as a responsible business that is actively contributing to a more sustainable, equitable future. The 2022 Sustainability Report highlights progress across each of their Proof Positive pillars, including:
- Nature Positive:
- Reduced water usage rate by 10% across operations through continued investments including closed-loop cooling systems at the Clermont and Booker Noe distilleries in Kentucky.
- Invested over $400 million to expand production at the Booker Noe distillery to increase capacity by 50% while reducing greenhouse gas emissions by the same percentage.
- Planted 197,000 trees, partnering at the local level to support reforestation efforts and further important research on wood for bourbon barrels.
- Consumer Positive:
- Added macro-nutritional information on the labels of nearly 300 stock keeping units (SKUs) in 2022, following voluntary commitment to disclose nutritional information on packaging.
- 8% of shipped volume had on-pack nutrition data and symbols and words that warn against driving while intoxicated and underage consumption, in addition to the preexisting warning against drinking while pregnant.
- Community Positive:
- Confirmed as an Equal Pay Employer from the company’s second voluntary global pay equity study.
- Increased female leadership, with nearly 37% of leadership positions globally being held by women.
- Launched a supplier diversity program to create economic opportunities for diverse suppliers.